Competencies / Outcomes
Students will learn to:
- Perceive and understand photography as an art form, using the vocabulary of design principles and visual art elements to describe and discuss their own and others' work.
- Understand the role of photography in reflecting past and contemporary cultures.
- Understand the role photography plays in communications and its use as a visual language.
- Critique orally or in writing the effectiveness of photographs in terms of artistic value and communication of meaning.
- Understand how the critical thinking, creativity, resource and time management skills learned in this course apply to other arts and to other career areas.
- Use technology as a tool to create individual works of photographic art.
Upon successful completion of the course, the student will:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the elements of photographic composition and development of a "photographic eye."
- Demonstrate knowledge of the history of photography.
- Demonstrate competency using cameras and equipment (digital or darkroom).
- Demonstrate competency using basic studio lighting.
- Synthesize the technical and artistic aspects of the course.
- Show an appreciation and application of aesthetic factors in photography.
- Compile a portfolio, including an artist's statement and a selection of the student's best prints, suitable for employment or college applications.
- Participate in community opportunities for exhibition and competition.
This course follows the CTE Digital Photography Model, as part of the ARTS, MEDIA & ENTERTAINMENT Pathway
In this course, we will be using:
Canon Rebel T3i DSLR
Canon Powershot point and shoot cameras
Adobe Photoshop CS6
Online editors (Picasa, Pixler, PicMonkey, others)